FACeTS of Madeira

News and Views related to the work of Ed and Abbie Potter, Baptist missionaries on the island of Madeira, Portugal since 1976.


 


Funchal Baptist Church
Rua Silvestre Quintino de Freitas, 126
9050-097 FUNCHAL
Portugal
Tel: 291 234 484

Sunday Services
English 11:00 a.m.
Russian 4:00 p.m.
Portuguese 6:00 p.m.
Ask the Tourist Office or Hotel Reception for map or directions.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Dust to Dust, It's Music to My Ears --- and Sequel

Dust to Dust, It's Music to My Ears

It's been a week since my last posting. By now the painting of the walls downstairs is practically finished. My office has been transferred upstairs, and I've had time to discover that everything is not well with the phone connections after all. The telephone and internet lines are OK, but the fax line is not working. Only discovered that when a client let me know they couldn't fax me a document for translation. I'll have to sort that problem out in a day or two; in the meantime the job was sent by e-mail.


The latest phase of the work is the sanding and revarnishing of the parquet floors. The workmen who put down the floors 15 years ago didn't use the proper sanding equipment, which left sanding marks all over, and they used a cheap varnish that scratches, chips, and turns yellow with age. Since we had furniture stacked and covered due to the plastering and repainting, we figured it was now or never to redo

That was as far as I got on Saturday, Feb. 19...Now another week has passed. The floors have all been sanded and varnished, and everything in the house, no matter how well covered it was, got a good dusting. The music to my ears I was going to refer to last week was the fact that the man operating the sanding machine actually showed up to work and the awful racket was a welcome sound. But he didn't show up Monday, then came on Tuesday, although the last part of the work he did on Tuesday afternoon wasn't well done. He seemed to grow weary in well doing and didn't get all the old layer of varnish off. We figure he has a problem working too many hours at a time and takes off every other day to be on the safe side.

With the dust, the varnish, the painting...what a perfect time for the worst winter storms we've had in years. Driving rains and cold winds. It made working on the built-in closet more difficult. In good weather, I set up my tools and equipment in the yard where there's plenty of room to work.

I quit writing last Saturday because we had to abandon the house. With furniture piled here and there around the house, we had no bed to sleep on, and wouldn't have wanted to sleep on it anyway, with all the dust. So for the last week we "camped out" at the church. The experience gave added meaning to David's words in Psalm 23:6.

Although everything has to be cleaned and put back in order, it's good to be back in the house and have a bed. Now if I could just get there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home